Frequently Asked Questions

Start/Stop/Change an Account

How do I transfer or reconnect an existing service to my name?
To transfer existing (not newly installed) services to your name, or reconnect existing services, simply apply online using the appropriate link for residential or commercial services. Please note: A billing deposit may be required to begin any new account with the District after proper identity verification and credit check. Please read the New Service Requirements above the application for more information on starting a new account with Clallam County PUD.

How do I disconnect my servicer and/or end my utility account?
To end your utility account, you will need to request a disconnect of service or ensure that service transfers out of your name. You will remain responsible for the account until service is shut off or transferred to a new party. Please note: Disconnect fees will be assessed to your final bill if services are shut off. Please read the information above the Request to Disconnect Service form for more details.

How do I add or remove a person from my utility account?
To add another person to your residential account please follow these steps:
1. The existing verifiable account holder needs to call the office to authorize adding another person to the account.
2. Then, the authorized person will submit an online service application or apply in person with proper identification to be added. For Purpose of Application, select the appropriate action.
Please note: All account holders are financially responsible for the utility bills. An additional billing deposit may be required to add another party to an existing account.

To update an account due to creating an estate or removing a party, please follow these steps:
1. Submit an online residential service application attaching the proper documents; death certificate, letter of testamentary, estate paperwork, etc. You may attach these items as a .pdf to the service application.
2. For Purpose of Application, select Update Existing Account.
3. You may also bring these documents and update accounts in person at your closest PUD office with the proper identification.
Please note: Personal Representatives of an Estate will need to be legally verified in order to update the utility account. Please complete the application entirely to be accepted and processed.

How can I change my legal name on my existing PUD account?
To change your name on your PUD account, submit an online residential service application and attach proof of legal name change to your application as a .pdf. For Purpose of Application, select Legal Name Change of Existing Account Holder. You may also bring proof of legal name change in to your local PUD office and update your account in person.


How are the taxes on my bill calculated?
Taxes for electricity shown on your bill are calculated below:
State Privilege Tax: 2.14%
Public Utility Tax: 3.8734%
*Note: These taxes apply to both the Basic Customer Charge and kWh charges.

Basic Customer Charge, Taxes, and CETA Fee

Why do I pay a basic customer charge each month?
The District collects its revenues for electric energy delivered to customers in two forms: the energy charge and the basic customer charge. The energy charge is based upon the amount of energy used. The basic customer charge is the cost of service to deliver power to a meter. The District is required to maintain the line, read meters, pay for operating costs, and make energy available to customers no matter how much or how little they use. This is similar to a fixed cost in another business.

What do I do if I cannot pay my bill on time?
If you cannot pay your bill by the due date, please call the office to make payment arrangements. There is a $5.00 late fee that will be applied to your account if payment is made past the due date. We may be able to make an arrangement with you to pay a few days later than your due date if you contact us as soon as possible. If a payment is not made on a date promised your service may be disconnected.  Please also see our Assistance Programs page for more information about programs that may apply to you.

Why does my Electric/Water bill seem unusually high?
It’s never a pleasant surprise when your bill seems higher than normal. Making comparisons are difficult because everyone uses electricity and water differently. But comparisons aside, the cost of heating your home increases as the outside temperature in winter drops. The extent that this affects your electric bill depends on your life style and how energy efficient your home was built: i.e., insulation values of walls, ceilings, floors, doors, windows, skylights; type of heating system; amount of air infiltration; solar orientation; and floor space or volume of your home. Visit our High Bill Checklist page for troubleshooting tips and measures you can do to help diagnose or prevent high bills.

Do you have an option to help budget for my utility bill?
Budget Payment Plan or the Average Payment Plan, allows you to pay the same amount every month, calculated from your own usage, making higher winter bills easier to handle. Your monthly Budget payment is recalculated and updated June, so keep an eye on your May bill to see what your next season’s monthly payment will be.


My utilities have been shut off for non-payment. What can I do now?
1. The verifiable account holder will need to call the office to get the costs for reconnecting service, to authorize reconnect once paid, and to report that the breakers are off to prepare for reconnect of service.
2. Past due balances along with reconnect fee(s) and additional billing deposits are collected to reconnect service.
3. Payment will not be accepted unless the account holder contacts the PUD to authorize reconnect in their name and get cost information.
4. Your PUD account will be closed if service is not reconnected within 5 business days. Costs to reconnect will change after your account is closed, and you may be required to submit a service application to reapply for service.
5. Assistance is available! Visit our Assistance Programs page for more information on funding from local agencies that may be able to help with your reconnect costs.

Moratorium Information – Winter
You may qualify for protection from disconnection for non-payment of your electric service from November 15 through March 15 under RCW 54.16.285. To be protected under the law, you must:

  1. Notify our Customer Service Department within five (5) business days after receipt of a Past Due Notice that you are unable to pay your utility bill.
  2. Provide the Customer Service Department with a statement from Olympic Community Action Programs that your income qualifies you for the moratorium. This statement must also provide a dollar figure that is 7% of your monthly household income.
  3. Apply for low-income energy assistance from either a government or private source, and agree that any energy assistance payment received by you will be paid to the District.
  4. Apple for low-income weatherization assistance to the District or appropriate agency if available.
  5. Agree to and maintain a payment plan designed to bring your account current by October 15. You may not be required to pay more than 7% of your certified monthly income plus one-twelfth (1/12) of any arrearage accrued from November 15 through March 15.
  6. Agree to pay the monies owed even if you move.

The employees of the District will assist you in meeting the requirements of RCW 54.16.285 as outlined in this notice.

Moratorium Information – Heat
In the event of heat-related events please contact our office at 360-452-9771 for information on service restoration and repayment options. A heat-related event is any day for which the National Weather Service (NWS) has issued or has announced that it intends to issue a heat-related alert, including an excessive heat warning; a heat advisory, an excessive heat watch, or a similar alert, for the area in which the residential customer’s address is located. NWS outlines events that prompt a heat-related alert and maintains a webpage on Watches, Warnings or Advisories that covers all weather-related events for the state.

Miscellaneous Questions

How do I report an outage?
Visit our Outages page to learn about how you can report an outage and then monitor for updates.

What should I do if the water pressure in my house seems lower than normal?
Turn on faucets in the house one at a time to see if pressure is low in all parts of the house, as well as outside faucets. If pressure is lower in some areas of the house and not others, remove and clean faucet screens and check for partially closed shut-off valves. If there is no improvement, there may be a restriction within your home’s plumbing. A plumber may need to be contacted to remove the restriction. If pressure is low in all parts of the house, please call us at 360-452-9771.

I want to put some shrubs or other landscaping near my transformer – what do I need to know?
When you make plans to landscape or make other changes in your yard, please remember these important points regarding PUD equipment.

• Obstructing airflow can affect equipment cooling and cause Transformer clearancedamage.

• Obstructions can cause delays when restoring electric service.

• Do not paint PUD equipment.

• Do not fence, landscape, or build any structures within 10 feet of the front and 3 feet from sides and back of PUD equipment that would restrict access.

• The PUD will remove obstructions that impede work access.

If you are unsure if your landscaping plans will interfere with our equipment, please call us at (360) 452-9771 or toll-free at 1 (800) 542-7859.

How much space is needed around meters?
Shrubs should be trimmed, dogs restricted, and pathways should be clear for safe access to metering equipment. Meters shall not be enclosed or put in the rear of buildings or in a location that is fenced. Pathways need to be a minimum of 2′ in width and if there is a walkway over a ditch that is wider than 6′, a structurally sound handrail is required. Clear space in front of the meter equipment shall be 36″ deep, as wide as the equipment or 36″ (whichever is greater) and as high as the top of the equipment or at least 6’6″ high. Meters shall be readily removable (not plastered or built in), not recessed behind the exterior wall surface. Any meter that is installed in an alley or driveway must be flush mounted on the wall and protected adequately to prevent damage from vehicular traffic. In the event of loss or damage to District property arising from neglect, carelessness or misuse, the cost of necessary repairs or replacement will be billed to the Customer.

I have a locking gate – how will the meter reader take my readings?
The District also has the right to enter upon the premises of the customer for the purpose of reading, inspecting, repairing or removing the metering devices, appliances or wiring of the District. Customers that have a private, locked gate will be required to install a dual locking device which will allow the customer’s locking mechanism and a District lock to work independent of each other or pay for the installation of a District lockbox for housing the customer’s key.