Electric Line Guidelines

Special Note: We have always prided ourselves on our responsiveness and customer service. Ironically, just as we are seeing explosive growth in housing and building, it comes at a time when we are facing highly unusual lead times and cost in acquiring the necessary padmount transformers needed for some new construction. What used to take 6 weeks to arrive and cost $1,745 (in 2019) is now taking as much as 66 weeks and costs $6,298! More often though, we are just told there is a delay and we cannot receive accurate shipment estimate. We are working on communicating this information across multiple channels so that builders and developers understand the potential for delay. Utilities across the state are experiencing the same thing so this is something we have no control over.

Jump to Underground Guidelines

If you need electrical service for a new home or to property, please stop by your local District office and ask to speak to one our representatives. The representative will probably want to make an appointment to meet you at the site.

You will need to bring the following information with you in order for our representative to give you an estimate of construction costs:

• Legal description of property

• Plot plan

• Location of well/septic system, if you will have either on your site

• Load information, i.e., heat pump, hot tub, etc.

• Desired location of meter base

• A copy of:

  1. The latest Statutory Warranty Deed or other conveyance document pertaining to the subject property*
  2. A copy of the current Assessor’s Parcel Information page pertaining to the property*
  3. A copy of the Plat, Short Plat, Large Lot Subdivision, Record of Survey or Binding Site Plan pertaining to the property, if applicable*

*Available for free from most title companies

Clallam Title: 360-457-2000
Frontier Title: 360-457-0482
Olympic Peninsula Title: 360-457-4451

• Temporary service requirements, if any

Our representative will prepare an estimate of your construction costs and let you know if you need to supply us with further information.

Nothing further happens from our standpoint until you pay the estimated construction cost, etc. Once you have paid, the following process begins:

  • Our representative will determine if your easements and/or special road-crossing permits have been received
  • After payments, easements, and all requirements are received, you should contact our representative to discuss a date for your installation
  • You will be required to arrange for all trenching, etc., and you must notify your backhoe contractor of the scheduled date for your project
  • You should contact the phone company and cable company and inform them of your scheduled date
  • You should contact the Utilities Underground Locate Center at least 48 hours prior to digging any ditches. That number is 1-800-424-5555
  • Call our representative a week prior to your scheduled date to confirm that your project is on track
  • The estimate you receive does not include the cost of ditching and backfilling. Please discuss the District’s trenching requirements with our representative.

You are responsible for establishing the location of the cable trench route and all proposed underground electrical facilities. We recommend that you consider utilizing a licensed surveyor to determine lot lines, property corners, right-of-way, and easements to ensure that the facilities are properly located.

If you request a date change after placement on the District’s construction schedule, it could delay your project an additional six weeks.

Please contact the District Representative for your area for assistance.

Electric Line Extensions Guidelines (Underground)

Trenching Requirements

The estimate you receive does not include the cost of trenching and backfilling. The trenching and backfilling required for the installation of the underground cable shall be provided by the customer and be in compliance with District specifications. The District has detailed specifications to be followed that are intended to provide for safe, reliable, long-lasting installations. If you utilize a contractor, you are responsible to see that the contractor is familiar with, and complies with, District specifications. These specifications are available from the District Representative who has been working on your project.

Please contact the District Representative for your area prior to digging the ditch to ensure that all requirements of the District are met and to avoid unnecessary expense to you. The electrical system, when installed, shall be the property of the District.

Secondary Service

The secondary electrical service, from the transformer or pedestal to the point of metering, shall be provided by the customer in accordance with District requirements. Each of these services will require inspection and approval from the Washington State Electrical Inspector prior to connection by the District. The secondary trench must also be inspected by the District prior to backfill.

Secondary electrical service installed by the customer or the customer’s contractor will be maintained by the District after a one-year warranty period.

Payment of Estimate

It should be noted that the figures contained herein are estimates and represent the cost of the proposed construction. Costs are subject to change without further notice. You will be required to provide a deposit in advance of construction in the estimated amount. Payment should be delivered to or mailed to one of the District’s offices. Upon conclusion of construction, the District will do an accounting of the actual work and should the cost vary more than $200 from the estimate, appropriate refund or request for additional deposit will be made.


Prior to actual construction, easements for installation of electrical facilities on private property shall be provided to the District. Please note that only the owner of the affected property can grant easement rights.

New installations must be located within the limits of existing utility easement(s) that pertain to the property, or within the limits of new utility easement(s) provided to the District. A District representative will determine if new easements are required, and can, in many cases, assist you with preparing them.

You may be required to provide utility easements if:
• There are no existing utility easements on or pertaining to the property
• Existing utility easements on or pertaining to the property are not located in the same place that the utilities are to be installed

In some cases, it may be necessary to have a licensed surveyor prepare a written description and exhibit showing where the easement is located with respect to the subject property. This may be required if:
• It is necessary to cross neighboring properties to get the new service to the subject property
• The utility installation is to be located along or near an unsurveyed property line
• The utility installation is for other than a single residential parcel

Working in County Right-Of-Way

If your project requires work within the county right-of-way, it will be your responsibility to obtain the necessary permit from Clallam County for all excavation performed within county road right-of-way. We suggest that you contact Clallam County to review requirements including road crossings, compaction, and restoration. A completed permit must be available at the job site during the excavation.

Availability of Materials

The District maintains a relatively large inventory of construction materials, however, the materials for this installation may not be available from District stock and may have to be ordered. If so, the materials will not be ordered until payment of the estimated costs has been made. Scheduling of the project will be subject to availability of materials to the District.

Establishing the Location of Electrical Facilities

It is important that you understand that you are responsible for ensuring the proper location of the cable trench route and all proposed underground electrical facilities shown on the attached sketch. Once installed, the cable and underground facilities are permanent and moving them is difficult and expensive. In the event any of these facilities need to be relocated, the entire cost will be at your expense. We recommend that you consider utilizing a licensed surveyor to determine the lot lines, property corners, right-of-way, and easements to ensure that the facilities are properly located.

Telephone and Telecable

We suggest for your convenience that you contact Diane Hager at Qwest, 635 North Oakridge, Port Angeles, WA, (360) 417-2174, and Mr. Mike Sturgeon at Wave Broadband, 725 East First Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362, (360) 452-8466, as soon as possible, so that the installation of the telephone and television cable may be coordinated with the power line installation to your benefit. You need to understand that Qwest generally requires 45 days for engineering. If your project is in the West End of Clallam County, you should contact CenturyTel at (360) 374-2322 and Millennium Digital Media at 1 (800) 829-2225.

Deposit Requirements

Please contact a Customer Service Representative at any PUD office to arrange to sign an Application for Service card and to discuss billing-deposit requirements for both electric and water services.

Construction Cost Sharing

New line extensions are no longer eligible to receive sharing refunds from subsequent customers. New customers may be required to pay sharing refunds in accordance with existing sharing agreements. The terms of Construction Cost Sharing shall be as defined in the most current revision of the Electric Service Regulations.

Scheduling the Installation

Upon receipt of the estimated construction cost and easement forms, construction may be scheduled subject to availability of materials. You will need to contact the District Representative for your area to schedule the date for installation and to coordinate trenching requirements.